How can I get a cat?
Are you thinking about getting a cat or kitten? There are a few things you should know. First where do you get a cat or kitten from? There are a few ways, each with their own pros and cons.
- Getting a new cat or kitten from your neighbors’ cat litter.
- Getting a new cat or kitten from your local animal shelter/animal rescue
- Getting a new cat or kitten from a specific cat breed cattery
Getting a new cat or kitten from your neighbors kitten litter
In you neighborhood or community there are probably people who had cats. And if its around kitten season (around spring-time), you can bet someone in your neighborhood will have a litter of kittens ready for adoption. To get in touch with these people try the following:
Keep a look-out at your local supermarket or shops that have notifications or post-it’s. Good chance there will be some kittens on a note!
Get in touch with you local pet-store or local vet. They know about your community and know which people have litters and can bring you in contact.
Neighborhood kitten litter – Pros and cons
– a kitten from your neighborhood will probably be for free.
– a kitten from your neighborhood will most likely not be vaccinated nor neutered. Meaning that you will need to do this, and you will have to visit your local pet and get this done. Don’t think you can safe money by skipping vaccination, if you skip it, your kitten can get seriously ill and treatment costs are many times more than vaccination.
Getting a new cat or kitten from your local animal shelter or animal rescue
You could also choose to visit your local animal shelter / animal rescue to adopt a cat or kitten. You can find them by typing a search in Google with your area name followed by animal shelter or animal rescue. Animal shelters will be very happy with you, because they are usually packed with kittens and cats who are all hoping for a new home.
– a good cat shelter will have info about the cats and kittens, they can help you get ready for a new cat in your home and have all sorts of helpful info. Also if its a good shelter or rescue, they will have the cat/kitten neutered and vaccinated.
– You will have to pay a small amount for the vaccination costs. Also if you don’t want a litter of kittens each your, ask the shelter about neutering.
Getting a new cat or kitten from a specific cat breeder or cattery
The other option is getting a cat from a breeder (also called cattery). While neighborhood litters and animal shelter cats will have no background, with a cattery you will know all about your kitten and the heritage and breed.
Usually catteries are focused on one breed. You have a Maine Coon cattery, a ragdoll cattery, a American shorthair cattery and so on. Usually the catteries will provide you with all the info you will need and more. And you cattery should also take care of vaccinations.
You can find them by typing a search in Google with your area name followed by “breed” cattery. Example: California ragdoll cattery.
– you will be able to choose your cat’s breed and with it be able to choose what type of cat you get and what behavior the cat will have, because cat breeds have specific behaviors.
– You will have to pay a rather large amount for a pedigree cat. This could range anywhere from $ 300,- to $ 2000,- dollars, depending on the type of cat. And with some exclusive and exotic breeds (like the Savannah cat) you could pay up to $ 15.000 dollar.